A Die Within a Die
Tired of dice activities yet? This one will get you going again! As I mentioned a while back, one of the coolest types of dice out there is the die within a die. These are great for math games where you need two dice and are also great motivators in general because kids LOVE them. I bought my son a new piggy bank today and it came in a clear, plastic box and I was so excited because now I could make my very own die within a die. Here is how I did it…
Die Within a Die
- a clear, plastic, cube-shaped box
- a die that fits inside the box
- parchment paper
- clear tape
- Place the smaller die inside the plastic cube. Seal all open edges with clear tape.
- Glue the parchment paper dots onto the sides of the die
- Your die is complete!
A Couple Game Ideas:
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication Practice: Roll the die within a die (DWD) and add, subtract or multiply the two numbers on the faces of the dice.
- Board Games: Whenever a board game calls for using two dice, use your DWD instead.
If this is your first time visiting Boy Mama Teacher Mama, welcome! Did you know that you can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and G+? Stop by to see what is happening!
© Boy Mama Teacher Mama 2012
All Rights Reserved
This site has awesome dice! They even have dice with two dice in the inside! Great website for all things math!
I love this idea! What a fun way to work with numbers.
As a primary teacher and education writer, I LOVE seeing parents making fun things like this to do at home! Keep up the GREAT work! 🙂
Thanks so much for the feedback! Just a questions– what is an education writer? I was a teacher for 15 years and am looking for another “direction.”
I write for educational publishing companies! It’s really fun. You can see some of my books at http://www.edwriter.com, but I also write lots of teacher guides, comprehension quizzes, and that sort of thing. A good way to get started is to submit to some teacher magazines like Mailbox and Instructor. They’ll have writer’s guidelines on their website. You already have a wonderful platform with your blog, so I think you should go for it! 🙂
Brilliant !!! Sooo cool!