I offered to make an Earth Day treat for our first graders. I saw several ideas I liked online, but felt like creating something that was my own. So, I came up with these Garden Cupcakes. I did not have time to make my own batter or frosting, so I used the store-bought kind. Next time, they will be from scratch! I still think they turned out really well. 🙂
- 1 package of Oreos (or similar cookie)
- 2 containers of chocolate frosting
- 2 boxes of yellow cake mix
- ice cream cones (wafer)
Creating the Gardens:
- Make the batter according to the instructions on the box.
- Fill a rimmed baking pan with the empty ice cream cones.
- Fill each cone about 1/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake according to the directions on the box. Keep an eye on them because they do not bake the same as a traditional cupcake.
- Allow to cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, crush the cookies in a blender or cuisinart.
- Ice cooled cakes with the chocolate frosting.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with the chocolate cookies.
- I used bamboo forked toothpicks I found at Target with the other toothpicks. I thought they looked “garden-y.” 🙂
- Print the provided template. Click on image below to download. Graphics are courtesy of MyCuteGraphics.com.
- Cut out each seed packet image and glue one to each stick
- Allow to dry.
- When the signs are dry, place one seed sign into each cupcake. And you are done! Aren’t they adorable??
Looking for other Earth Day ideas from Boy Mama Teacher Mama?
© Boy Mama Teacher Mama 2013
All Rights Reserved