I have been reading A LOT of the literature out there about what boys like to read. Instead of posting a bunch of articles about the topic, I thought I would make things easy and create a brief summary of what boys like to read and share it with you all. Let me know what you think!
First, did you know that a lot of boys are having trouble reading? (From Michael W. Smith and Jeffrey D. Wilhelm in Reading Don’t Fix No Chevys: Literacty in the Loves of Young Men (Heinemann, 2002))
- Boys develop slower than girls.
- Boys take longer to read than girls do.
- Boys read less than girls.
- Girls tend to comprehend narrative and expository texts better than boys.
- Boys do not value reading as much as girls.
- Boys have trouble relating to the feelings and emotions of a lot of fiction.
- There is a lack of positive male role models in literacy.
So, what do boys want to read?
- Boys are more inclined to read informational texts, magazines and newspaper articles.
- Boys are more inclined to read graphic novels and comic books.
- Boys tend to enjoy escapism and humor.
- Boys enjoy science fiction and fantasy.
- Boys like to read about hobbies, sports and they they like or would like to do.
- Boys to read books in a series.
- Boys resist reading stories about girls (girls don’t mind reading about boys)
- Boys read less fiction than girls.
Want some more information? Check out this article:
- Why Johnny Won’t Read–Schools often dismiss what boys like. No wonder they are not wild about reading. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA439816.html