Guys Read: Funny Business Note: These books and others like it can be found at BMTM’s Bookstore. Click the image below. Search under “books for older boys.” I am not a professional literary critic nor do I have … Continue reading
Guys Read Series- Good Reads for Boys (Grades 5-9) What will get my middle school aged son reading? Here’s an idea…. Note: These books and others like it can be found at BMTM’s Bookstore. Click the image … Continue reading
I came across this article in the Wall Street Journal last night. How to Raise a Boy Who Reads What do you think?
Interested in a series of beginning chapter books for your son? Then check out the Roscoe Riley Rules books by Katherine Applegate. “Short chapters, simple dialogue with some big words thrown in (proboscis, epidermis) and a very few first grade … Continue reading
I have been reading A LOT of the literature out there about what boys like to read. Instead of posting a bunch of articles about the topic, I thought I would make things easy and create a brief summary of what boys like to read and share it with you all. Let me know what you think!
First, did you know that a lot of boys are having trouble reading? (From Michael W. Smith and Jeffrey D. Wilhelm in Reading Don’t Fix No Chevys: Literacty in the Loves of Young Men (Heinemann, 2002))
- Boys develop slower than girls.
- Boys take longer to read than girls do.
- Boys read less than girls.
- Girls tend to comprehend narrative and expository texts better than boys.
- Boys do not value reading as much as girls.
- Boys have trouble relating to the feelings and emotions of a lot of fiction.
- There is a lack of positive male role models in literacy.
So, what do boys want to read?
- Boys are more inclined to read informational texts, magazines and newspaper articles.
- Boys are more inclined to read graphic novels and comic books.
- Boys tend to enjoy escapism and humor.
- Boys enjoy science fiction and fantasy.
- Boys like to read about hobbies, sports and they they like or would like to do.
- Boys to read books in a series.
- Boys resist reading stories about girls (girls don’t mind reading about boys)
- Boys read less fiction than girls.
Want some more information? Check out this article:
- Why Johnny Won’t Read–Schools often dismiss what boys like. No wonder they are not wild about reading. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA439816.html
I came across another fantastic website today called, “Getting Boys to Read.” There is so much information about boys and reading on this site. My favorite article by far is called, “Boy Needs to MOVE IT: How to Use Movement … Continue reading
Guys Read and Jon Scieszka As a parent of boys this site is a must. Guysread.com is a web based literacy program for boys developed by Jon Scieszka (author of The Stinky Cheeseman, The Time Warp Trio series and the … Continue reading